For those who question...
Since 1983, the Re-Entry Therapy, Information & Referral Network (RETIRN) has been providing counseling, forensic (legal), consultation, information and referral services to individuals and families adversely affected by high demand groups, manipulative and totalistic social, political, transformational and/or religious movements, such as:
destructive cults (e.g., religious, political, therapy, marketing cults).
mass therapies (e.g., large group awareness trainings).
certain "New Age" groups that engage in harmful and/or deceptive practices.
RETIRN Associates are consultants, psychotherapists, and counselors, many of whom themselves are former cultists or have been exposed to destructive cults or other coercive influence techniques. They have specialized training and/or experience working with people who have been harmed by individuals and groups that utilize powerful manipulative techniques to coerce sudden and rapid changes in personality, behavior and/or beliefs (usually without informed consent). RETIRN assists cultists and their families make the sometimes difficult transition from coercion to renewed individual choice.
RETIRN services include:
- Family counseling: help in deciding what action to take when a loved one is involved with a cult.
- Re-entry therapy: individual, family, and group psychotherapy for former cultists and their families.
- Forensic examinations on issues related to destructive cultism (including child custody, competency, and infliction of psychological distress).
- Consultation and training to mental health professionals and agencies, educational and religious organizations.
- Public speaking: highly experienced and stimulating speakers for civic groups, clubs, and other organizations.
- Cult-sensitive psychological testing & diagnostic evaluations: for assistance in treatment planning.
- Information and referral to additional sources of support and help, including legal referrals.
- Exit counseling: noncoercive, voluntary information and counseling sessions for current members of totalistic groups. We are proud of our relationships with recognized, competent, and ethical cult consultants and exit-counselors.
RETIRN Associates are (click on names for additional information):
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Pennsylvania).
- Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work.
- Coordinated the Cult Service of the Jewish Family and Children's Agency of Philadelphia until 1984..
- Extensive experience working with ex-cultists and their families.
- Licensed Psychologist (Pennsylvania) and listed in the National Register of Health Service Psychologists (USA).
- Research Co-Editor of ICSA Today.
- Has conducted research on group pressure and coercion, and has studied the long-term effects of traumatic stress.
- Programme Leader of the MSc Applied Psychology (Therapies) Programme at the University of Salford.
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council, United Kingdom as both a clinical and a counselling psychologist.
- Registered counsellor/psychotherapist with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- Certified and Approved Consultant in clinical hypnosis by the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH).
- Currently heads RETIRN/U.K. with husband, social psychologist Roderick Dubrow-Marshall, Ph.D.
- Licensed Psychologist (Pennsylvania and Delaware).
- Listed in the National Register of Health Service Psychologists.
- 1990 recipient of AFF's John G. Clark Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Cultic Studies.
- Certified & Approved Consultant in clinical hypnosis, American Society of Clinical Hypnosis.
- Certified in group psychotherapy by the National Registry of Certified Group Psychotherapists.
- Board Certified Diplomate, American Board of Professional Psychology.
- AASECT Certified Sex Therapist.
Rod Dubrow-Marshall, Ph.D., MBPsS
- Social Psychologist whose research specialties include the psychology of undue influence and cults or extremist groups (where he has developed the ‘Totalistic Identity Theory’ as an evidence-based theory to combat and reduce ideological extremism and ideologically driven violence).
- Professor of Psychology and Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University of Derby, Derby & Buxton, Derbyshire, United Kingdom.
- Graduate member of the British Psychological Society.
- Chair of the Research Committee and Network of the International Cultic Studies Association and is co-Editor of the International Journal of Cultic Studies.
- 2006 recipient of The Herbert L. Rosedale Award, jointly (with Dr. Paul Martin) for their psychological research on undue influence.
- RETIRN/UK as correspondent to the General Assembly of FECRIS (European Federation of Centres of Research and Education on Sects).
RETIRN Clinical Associates engage a wide range of expert consultants on an as-needed basis. We strive to be involved only with consultants who are established, experienced, and objective and who enjoy reputations of the highest integrity and ethical conduct.